There are a number of habits you can learn and avoid in order to improve your dental health. As such we have gathered the most common ones we have seen here in Los Algodones for you to read and be aware of.
By maintaining a good dental routine and avoiding the bad habits, it will help achieve a bright smile!
Good dental habits
Remember to brush twice every day. Typically in the morning and before heading to bed. Brushing is among the best habits you can do to avoid problems in the long run.
Make sure that you are doing the following:
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush, and change it every 3-4 months. Remember to also take care of your tongue and cheeks as you brush.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and brush those teeth for at least 2 minutes! That is the recommended amount by our dentists in Los Algodones.
- Do not an excessive amount of toothpaste because that will prompt you to spit and rinse your mouth sooner than intended.
Although underrated in relation to brushing and rinsing your mouth, flossing proves extremely useful. Other than removing plaque, it is most important asset it to prevent gum disease.
- The trick lies in getting to know your teeth by practicing every day.
- If you do not fancy the dental floss, you opt for a dental pick or anything similar, really. As long as you clean between the teeth and gums, that is terrific.
- If you are not sure which dental floss to pick, we recommend trying a waxed one to start with.
Rinsing your mouth
This can be either done with water alone or by using a mouthwash. And it is particularly one of the topics that interests me the most. And as such, I will give you some useful tips on this one:
- Make sure to rinse your mouth after every meal with water, that will help washing food particles out.
- Do not brush your teeth immediately after eating. The enamel is easier to break the 30 minutes you finish eating.
- Use a therapeutic mouthwash instead of a cosmetic one. A therapeutic mouthwash will help instead of mask a smell.
Remember that visiting your dentist twice a year will GREATLY help in the long run. Not only will your dentist help you address current problems, they will also notice patterns.
Avoid harmful foods
Things such as soda and coffee can stain your teeth. While crunching on hard things, such as ice, can fracture your teeth and lead to further complications such as teeth sensitivity. Remember you also have to be wary of pop kernels! How they adhere to the teeth can exert unwanted pressure.
Do not use teeth as tools
We absolutely advise you not to use your teeth as if they were tools. this can lead to problems such as chipping, breaking, or losing a tooth.
- Avoid opening bottles with your teeth. The amount of force and pressure put is dreadful for them.
- Do not rip or tear things off. Like adhesive tape, price tags, things like that.
Stay away from cigarettes and tobacco use
Not only do they stain the teeth, they also make it easier to get gum disease and a foul breath. It also harbors the great risk of developing cancer, and the same goes for chewing tobacco.
If you have problems quitting, we suggest reaching out to family and friends, help them help you!
We hope that these tips prove useful to your habits or your overall knowledge. A bright smile is never far away when you are really working on it.