Tooth Enamel: Basics And Tips
Tooth enamel is an essential part of our teeth, not only does it protect it, but also makes chewing more pleasant. Keeping the enamel healthy is as important as brushing everyday!
Whether you are curious or interested in knowing, then you are in the right place! What it is, what it accomplish and how we can take care of it will all be discussed here.
What is tooth enamel
The tooth enamel is the outer layer of our teeth and it is actually the hardest substance in our bodies. The natural color of the enamel is a transparent white, it is not the total responsible for our teeth’s color. This is why people often seek teeth whitening procedures with abrasives, which passes through the enamel and effects the dentin.
The main job of our enamel is to protect us from many sources of discomfort. Things like tooth sensitivity, as well as eating, biting, etc, are all possible because we have that outer layer.
One of its most important features is that it is highly mineralized. This means it has no living cells, which the body cannot regenerate once broken or chipped.
Likewise, it can also wear down and erode with the acid produced by bacteria. Though you are not able to recover lost enamel, weak enamel can be salvaged.
Saliva, fluoride and multiple factors play an important role in this process called remineralization. Remineralization strengthens the enamel by replacing the lost minerals. As such, it is important to take care of it if we want to keep our natural teeth to the very end.
What makes the enamel get eroded or wear down
- Sweet drinks in general are harmful when not taken the proper care. Juices and sodas are the most popular here, and you should rinse your mouth after consuming them.
- Dry mouth, which means a very low saliva production in your mouth plays a big role, too. This is also called Xerostomia.
- Diet is also important. Not only does the body need sufficient nutrients to keep the mouth healthy. But if your diet contains a lot of sugar and starchy foods, you should consider limiting that slightly.
- Gastrointestinal problems and acid reflux disease can potentially harm your tooth enamel.
- Stress, friction, as well as wrong daily use of our teeth is fatal.
Tips to keep your tooth enamel in top form
- Make sure to pick a tooth paste that contains fluoride. Fluoride has been proven to be a very beneficial components towards remineralizing our teeth.
- Brush your teeth right. Make sure that you should brush for at least two minutes, twice a day. Pay close attention to where you are reaching with your toothbrush.
- Keep an eye on your saliva production and avoid dry mouth. Sugar-free gums, constantly drinking water, using mouthwash, all of these help and boost your saliva production.
- Limit sugary and starchy foods intake. These make wearing down the enamel a lot more easier. If you have the habit of sipping on coffee or soda throughout the day, not only will you stain your teeth easier, but also give the bacteria plenty of time to produce harmful acids.
- Avoid harmful habits such as grinding and ope ning bottle caps with your teeth. If you find you are grinding your teeth while you sleep, Los Algodones dentists recommend using a mouth guard.
- Pay your dentist a visit twice every year. They are professionals at what they do and will keep you informed of the changes happening in your mouth. Seriously, what better way to improve your oral health than with an expert on the subject!
You are free to check our prices and ask us any questions if you are interested in getting a procedure here in Los Algodones, Mexico. Not only are the best dentists here, but the prices are much lower than that of the States and Canada.