Brushing and flossing your teeth every day is primordial if you want to keep a good oral health. It is important to have a strong habit of caring and cleaning your teeth because is this habit the one who will let you enjoy from a mouth free from bacteria and healthy teeth from cavities and other dental issues. Remember that keeping a good oral health today avoids you from struggling with tomorrow’s oral health issues.
The best way to develop the habit of brushing and taking care of our teeth every day is starting early, while we are just children and with the help of a good mentor.
It is normal if your kids forget to brush their teeth or if they don’t want to do it, but it is very important from them that during this stage of their life they start knowing about the importance of keeping a good oral hygiene.
Teaching your kids to brush their teeth properly also contributes to the development of their independence and it’s an activity that motivates them to get things done by their own.
If your want your kids to start adopting the habit of brushing their teeth every day properly you must be a good mentor, so here are some helpful tips that can help you.
Tips to Teach Your Kids to Brush Their Teeth
- Let your kids imitate you. The kids tend to copy the behaviors they see and the imitation is one of their best ways to learn. Make sure you brush your teeth in front of your child and to teach them how to do it on their own while you do it on yourself.
- Teach your children to hold their toothbrush in 45 degrees angle towards the gums of the upper and lower teeth.
- Make sure that the kid makes gentle movements in a back-and-forth motion with short strokes along the teeth and gums and for the interior and exterior surface of the teeth.
- Tell your children to use the tip of the brush in an upright position to reach the front teeth on its top and bottom.
- Don’t forget to show them as well the importance of brushing their tongue to remove the bacteria that lay on its surface.
- Remember your children that brushing their teeth properly will take them 2 minutes.
- Tell your kids the importance of brushing their teeth every day at mornings after waking up and at nights before going to sleep. Don’t forget to show them that it is also better if they can brush their teeth after each meal.
- At the beginning, your kids may not brush their teeth properly. Make sure to supervise them and provide assistance if it is necessary.
- To start you can let your children brush their teeth on their own at least once a day. You can help them on the other brushing round of the day to make sure that his teeth and mouth are properly cleaned.
- Another helpful way to motivate your children to brush their teeth is by giving them a battery-powered spin toothbrush or one with its favorite cartoon character. It’s important to make see your children the brushing time as something funny.