Who doesn’t want to have healthy and clean teeth and gums? Not only are you driving away bad breath, but taking care of your teeth and gums will help you keep them for a lifetime.
Also, for dental procedures such as bridges and dental implants, it proves useful as to make them last longer. Los Algodones dentists recommend
Just how do I take care of my mouth?
There are plenty of ways to take care of your mouth, teeth and gums. The ones you want to pay the most attention to are brushing and flossing your teeth every day.
But that does not mean that through them alone all your problems will fade away. There are other good habits such as rinsing your mouth, having a healthy diet and visiting your dentist twice a year!
Brushing is essential to attain clean and healthy teeth. It is the most reliable way we have in removing most of the plaque and food particles that stay in our mouths. As such we recommend the following:
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Typically once you wake up and before going to sleep.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush. Using a hard bristled one will only wear away your tooth enamel faster.
- Brush with gentle strokes and in a circular motion. You want to brush away plaque, not your whole teeth!
- Make sure to tilt your toothbrush 45° against your gumline. That is a common spot for plaque to buildup at.
- Brush your tongue and inner walls of your mouth. This helps keeping our breath fresh for longer.
It is also recommended that each of your brushing session last at least 2 minutes! Anything less than a minute won’t give your toothpaste enough time to react.
This can be one of the trickiest tasks when talking about mouth care. But practice makes perfect, so by just trying a little every day, it will be easy to nail down.
Flossing helps getting to the plaque and food stored from between your teeth. So it is important to remove before the plaque hardens into tartar.
- Make sure to go through each tooth individually. We recommend starting from the top ones, then work your way to the bottom teeth.
- Be gentle when using dental floss. If you find that the thread is snapping, then you are applying too much force.
- It is also possible to curve the floss into a “C” shape as you clean between your teeth to get to clean the gumline as well.
- Do not use the same section of floss over and over again. It will carry the plaque to the other parts between your teeth.
Mouthwashes and mouth rinses can prove useful if you get a therapeutic one. As you know there are two types: therapeutic and cosmetic. Cosmetic mouthwashes will only get you a fresh breath. Therapeutic ones will treat different things depending on the product: gum disease, tooth decay, etc.
- Make sure to swish the product in your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Use it before or after brushing, however you think works better for you!
- Getting a mouthwash with fluoride in it is a good first step. Fluoride helps keeping your teeth strong.
Having a healthy diet
As you are aware, starchy, acidic and sugary foods increase our risks of developing tooth decay. So watching how much you take and making sure to keep your mouth clean afterwards proves essential.
So in order to be safe, make sure you keep an eye for the following: candies, cakes, sugar gum, cookies, bread, potato chips, juice, soda and dried fruits! You are free to brush more than twice a day and use a mouth rinse in order to deal with this.
If you are interested in cheap dental treatments and procedures, we invite you to check our pricelist. Our dentists have studied in the States and are English-speakers as well!